With the Carolina sunshine in full swing this summer, it is so important to protect your largest bodily organ, your skin. Finding the perfect skincare regimen can be difficult, so we’ve compiled a list of tips for avoiding pink cheeks and peeling skin this summer:
- Most importantly your sunscreen MUST protect. Try to find a lotion that blocks both ultraviolet A and B rays. Both types cause skin damage and skin cancers.
- On that note, SPF 30 is a must. Anything below isn’t giving your skin the barrier it needs. If you opt for a higher SPF, remember that it only protects about 1% more than SPF 30. Regardless of the SPF level, it is important to reapply every two hours for complete coverage.
- Also, try to apply your sunscreen early, it can take up to 30 mins to absorb. If you are using a spray sunscreen, or you are swimming or sweating, reapply more often as sunscreen in these conditions may wear off faster.
- Cover all of your bases! Don’t forget to slather some on your ears, your feet, and your neck—places that are often missed. Buy a lip balm with SPF coverage as well and throw on your sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- After a day in the sun, take a cool shower. Sand, salt, and chlorine can dehydrate your skin. Plus, drink plenty of water. Chances are you’ve been sweating it out!
- Moisturize with something hydrating. Look for a nourishing Aloe Vera gel or a Vitamin C crème to restore some of your natural hydration.
We hope you are enjoying your days in the sun and surf this July, just don’t neglect that precious skin!
– By Olivia Dimatteo, a blog contributor for Garden City Realty
For more information on sunscreen and skincare, visit American Academy of Dermatology